Each week during the school year, our BackPack Club provides a bag full of food for the weekend. Our partner school is South Elementary School (in the Grandville Public School system). The club is offered to all South students whose families qualify for the free/reduced lunch program, but parents must sign up in order to receive the food. We generally serve 20-25 families each week.
The backpacks include one complete meal for the family, plus fruit juice, fruit or applesauce cups, granola bars, breakfast and lunch items, and snacks for each child in the family.
If you would like to contribute to the BackPack Club, we are always in need of the following items:
- Spaghetti or other boxed noodles
- Canned Spaghetti Sauce (no glass jars)
- Canned tuna or chicken
- Tuna or Chicken Helper (no Hamburger Helper please!)
- applesauce or fruit cups
- individually packaged snack crackers, chips or cookies
- single-serving cereal boxes
- pudding cups
- granola bars
- Easy Mac cups, or other microwaveable single-serving lunch meals (ravioli, spaghetti, etc.)
You can read a little more about this ministry from a Banner article that was published a few years ago.
Contact Person: Diane Reed